Walking With Questions
John’s Disciples Question Jesus
Matthew 11: 2-6
2 John the Baptist, who was in prison, heard about all the things the Messiah was doing. So he sent his disciples to ask Jesus, 3 “Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?” 4 Jesus told them, “Go back to John and tell him what you have heard and seen— 5 the blind see, the lame walk, those with leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor.” 6 And he added, “God blesses those who do not fall away because of me.”
18 The disciples of John the Baptist told John about everything Jesus was doing. So John called for two of his disciples, 19 and he sent them to the Lord to ask him, “Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?” 20 John’s two disciples found Jesus and said to him, “John the Baptist sent us to ask, ‘Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?’” 21 At that very time, Jesus cured many people of their diseases, illnesses, and evil spirits, and he restored sight to many who were blind. 22 Then he told John’s disciples, “Go back to John and tell him what you have seen and heard—the blind see, the lame walk, those with leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor.” 23 And he added, “God blesses those who do not fall away because of me.”
Thesis: Actions speak louder that words. Jesus answers our doubts by showing his actions.
- Play 2 Truths and a Lie: https://www.group-games.com/ice-breakers/two-truths-and-a-lie.html
- Share about a time you doubted someone, only to discover they were right.
- Who is one your you favorite historical (non-biblical) figures and why?
Video: Here is a video you can either watch, to use to help you in your prep:
- What are some things you know about John the Baptist? (Jesus cousin, ate locust & honey, wore camel fur, baptized Jesus, said “he must increase, and I must decrease”, etc)
- Why is John in prison? (see Luke 3:19-20)
- Why does he begin to doubt Jesus is the Messiah?
- Why do people start doubting Jesus when crisis arises?
- What question does John send his disciples to answer?
- What answer does Jesus give John’s disciples?
- Why do you think Jesus does not give a simple yes or no answer?
- Why do you think Jesus highlights the healing of the blind, lame, lepers, deaf, and dead?
- What is the “Good News” that is “being preached to the poor?” (see Mark 1:14-15)
- How might Jesus answer help erase the doubt that John was feeling?
- Have you ever doubted in your faith? What caused the doubt? What helped you return to faith in Jesus?
- When sharing your faith with others, how can we point them to the actions of Jesus?