Walking In Wisdom and Stature
Jesus in the Temple
41 Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Passover festival. 42 When Jesus was twelve years old, they attended the festival as usual. 43 After the celebration was over, they started home to Nazareth, but Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents didn’t miss him at first, 44 because they assumed he was among the other travelers. But when he didn’t show up that evening, they started looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they couldn’t find him, they went back to Jerusalem to search for him there. 46 Three days later they finally discovered him in the Temple, sitting among the religious teachers, listening to them and asking questions. 47 All who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 His parents didn’t know what to think. “Son,” his mother said to him, “why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere.” 49 “But why did you need to search?” he asked. “Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they didn’t understand what he meant. 51 Then he returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. And his mother stored all these things in her heart. 52 Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people.
- Share a time when you were lost as a kid.
- How did feel when you could not find your parents?
- How did your parents respond then they found you? What was your reaction?
- Share a time when you lost your kid.
- How did it feel when you could not find your child?
- How did you respond then you found them? What was their reaction?
Optional Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjMjvv7SZk
- What kind of tween/teenage do you think Jesus was?
- How do you think he would have handled middle school today?
- What are some of the issues Jesus had to deal with as a Tween/teen that you deal with today?
- What are some issues Jesus did not have to deal with, that current tween/teens due?
Read Luke 2: 41-52
- What were Jesus and his family returning from?
- How could it be that Jesus was missing for a day without his parents knowing? (See commentary for insight)
- What do you think Jesus was doing during the three days his parents searched?
- How did he get food?
- Where did he sleep?
- Why was no one concerned about a lost 12 year old boy hanging out at the temple?
- How would you describe Jesus’ relationship with his parents from these verses?
- Jesus was misunderstood by his parents, but obeyed them. On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard would that be for you?
- What more do you learn about Mary and Joseph?
- Why is Mary’s reaction in verse 48 at finding Jesus in the temple so understandable?
- What does Jesus realize about his purpose that Mary does not understand?
- Do you find Jesus’ response to his parents unexpected? (see quote below by NT Wright)
- What positive character traits of Jesus as a young man do you find in this passage?
- From this passage, what evidence can you gather that Jesus was a special person?
- What four areas did Jesus grow in?
- What does it look like to grow in wisdom, stature, favor with God, Favor with men?
- How does Jesus model growing in wisdom, stature, favor with God, Favor with men? (Provide stories)
- What does it look like for us to grow in wisdom, stature, favor with God, Favor with men?
- Why do we need a balance of all four areas of growth?
- What areas do you feel you need to grow in? What are some steps you can take? How can the small group help support you?